History of the Rotary Club of Green Bay
Our club began in 1917 and has approximately 80 members. In 2004, our Club formed a dental project for children in Green Bay Public Schools that were in need of dental care. More than 5,500 children have received care that otherwise wouldn't. Our Club helped raise more than $300,000, and with grants and other donations, turned this into $1.6 million - and eventually spun this off into a separate non-profit organization. We have a Local Foundation that gave more than $28,000 last year to local organizations such as Einstein Project, YMCA, Encompass, GBSO and many others We have a Men's Closet whereby we partner with the Salvation Army to provide clothing to men in need of it. During the past 2 years, Men's Closet has had nearly 1,100 visitors.
The genesis of every club can be traced back to the February 23, 1905 organization of the Rotary Club of Chicago, retroactively given Charter #1. Since that time, each new Rotary Club has been sponsored by an existing Rotary Club or its representative. Charters were not issued by The International Association until June 2, 1913 and were retroactively given with Charter numbers to clubs that were organized and accepted before then, using the order in which they were organized. On July, 1951, Rotary International ceased issuing Charter numbers.
Green Bay, WI #279, 3/1/1917
“Prior to the 1930's the standard "application form" to Rotary generally did not provide a designated space or line for the "provisional" or applying club to list the name of its sponsoring club.
- Sponsored Marinette, WI #425, 10/1/1918
- Sponsored Manitowoc, WI #502, 6/17/1919
- Manitowoc sponsored Two Rivers, WI, #1341, 2/8/1923
- Sponsored Sturgeon Bay, WI #728, 5/1/1920
- Sturgeon Bay sponsored Kewanee, WI #1720, 4/15/1924
- Sturgeon Bay sponsored Sturgeon Bay Breakfast, WI, #NA, 2/17/1992
- Sponsored Antigo, WI #1346, 2/10/1923
- Sponsored Shawano, WI #1543, 11/3/1923
- Shawano sponsored Bonduel, WI #6065, 8/9/1945
- Sponsored De Pere, WI #2295, 3/22/1926
- Sponsored Green Bay West, WI #NA, 4/22/1974
- Sponsored Gillett-Oconto Falls, WI #NA, [but RI Archives say Shawano so Green Bay may have organized it and ‘passed it off’ to Shawano] 5/20/1977; [defunct 6/17/1991]
- Sponsored Packerland Sunrise, WI, #NA, 12/16/2010